1.877.753.2678 [email protected]

      What is CanExport?

      Heads up! This post is now 4 years old, and the content may not be current information.

      The CanExport SMEs program is delivered by the Trade Commissioner Service (TCS) of Global Affairs Canada and provides financial assistance to Canadian companies to develop export opportunities for their product or service in new international markets. You can read about how we can help you get this program.


      • Support navigating the complexities of international markets. Support includes help making better business decisions, increasing opportunities, and reducing costs and risks.
      • Financial support through cost sharing, with applicants eligible for a reimbursement of up to 75 percent of eligible expenses; the applicant is responsible for the remaining 25%.
        • In-kind contributions do not count toward the 25%.
        • Costs covered by other government agencies are not eligible for cost sharing
        • The program reimburses up to 75 percent of eligible costs to offer between $15,000 and $75,000 in funding per project.


      • Be a for-profit company
      • Be an incorporated legal entity or a limited liability partnership (LLP) in Canada
      • Have a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) business number
      • Be a small or medium-sized company with no more than 500 full-time equivalent employees
      • Have no less than $100,000 and no more than $100 million in annual revenue declared in Canada during its last complete tax reporting year (or during the last 12 months for monthly and quarterly filers)
      • Currently active in any industry sector, including agriculture and agri-food

      Project Application Guidelines

      • Identified activities are above and beyond everyday business activities of the firm.
      • Realistic merit and alignment of the project with the Government of Canada trade strategies and priorities including; Job creation, leads generated, increased sales, increased investments, agreements signed, increased R&D/innovation.
      • Target market counts for less than $100,000 or less than 10% of the company’s total sales (domestic and international sales), during the last complete tax year.
      •  Includes 1-5 markets (country) or submarket (regions within Brazil, China, India and the United States).
      • Demonstrate an understanding of the challenges and opportunities in each target market.
      • Expenses claimed are incurred during the project, claims outside this timeframe will not be eligible for reimbursement.
      • Doesn’t include ineligible expenses such as: regular operational costs, product development, production or distribution, salaries and commissions, corporate overhead expenses, gifts or hospitality, preparation documentation or planning activities, tax credits.
      • Submitted at least 60 business days before the project start date to allow for review and approval.

      This information was sourced through the trade commissioner supplied CanExport applicant guide.


      Written By Ceileigh Cunningham

      Ceileigh is a Technical Writer and Project Analyst at SJE Consulting. With a background in education and public programming, she is passionate about creating clear understanding and communication.

      Posted to: CanExport

      August 17, 2020

      Similar News…

      IP Assist – Subsidy for IP Protection

      IP Assist – Subsidy for IP Protection

      IP Assist provides information services to companies in the early stages of IP development and financial support for companies to develop an IP strategy

      Canexport – Now Open for Applications

      Canexport – Now Open for Applications

      The Canexport program just re-opened for accepting new applications.  This is a popular program, so it is best to get applications in early.